2018 Latest NSW Pool Safety Inspection Checklist
Here is a self-assessment checklist to determine if your pool is compliant with the Australian Standards (NSW fencing law in this case) .
- Pool fence should be at least 1200mm high (from the ground level).
- The gap from the bottom of the fence to the ground is no more than 100mm.
- If a boundary fence is part of the pool fence, the barrier should be 1800mm high from the pool area.
- The gap between the vertical bars in the fence should not exceed 100mm.
- The gap between the horizontal bars should be at least 900cm apart.
- The holes in the barrier (if mesh fencing is used) should be 13mm or less.
- The pool fence should be well maintained and in good working condition (no holes, rust or broken parts).
Pool gate and windows
- Gate should be self-closing from any position.
- The gate should latch by itself.
- The latching device should be at least 1500mm above the ground level.
- The gate should open outwards (away from the pool).
- Windows should open not more than 100mm and should have a locking device.
Non-Climbable Zone (NCZ)
- There should be no potential hand holds or foot holds (e.g. shrubs, trees, pot plants, ladders, chairs and other objects) within the 900mm non-climbable zone.
- Non-Climbable Zone should be measured in an arc shape from the top of the fence to the ground.
- There should be a 300mm clearance from the barrier inside the pool area.
- An appropriate warning sign such as the CPR guidelines should be available near the pool area and can be easily read from a distance of 3m.
For indoor pools and spas
Checklist for all indoor pools, including spas that don’t have a lockable child –resistant closure:
- The latch on the gate should be at least 1500mm above ground level.
- There should be no pet door or opening that is more than 100mm.
- There should be no wall openings greater than 100mm.
- The windows should open to a maximum of 100mm.
- An appropriate and clear warning sign such as the CPR guidelines should be available near the pool area and can be easily read from a distance of 3m.
- There should be no climbable objects within 1200mm area outside the fence.
This assessment only serves as a guide for you before having your pool safety inspection which is required by the local NSW government .
If you have completed the checklist above, you can now book or schedule a pool safety inspection who can provide you with a compliance certificate or help you fix any non-compliance issues for your swimming pool.